Saturday 10 May 2014

Song #1 Clapton

So... I've spent some time writing the introduction.. And then changed my mind...

And this is "Song #1"

I could start with a little known Blues number, or a punk single that only 20 people ever heard, or a lieder, but I'm going to start with something far more obvious. In the mid 70s there wasn't a jukebox in the land that didn't have Eric Clapton going on about "Layla". As a 14 year old going out on the piss in a seaside town I loved it. It was the sort of music I aspired to because all the older kids, (16/17/18), were listening to it. And if you were venturing into the formica and aluminium ash-tray world of the 70s pub you needed to fit in.
Layla was one of those tracks that everyone knew, it seemed simple and direct - bloke loves woman - which was perfect in the lust soaked arena of the "Boar's head" or "White Horse.

Looking back of course I don't even know if I really liked it or nor, it was a received piece of cultural appreciation. It's special now because of where it puts me, and when it puts me. Even at the age of 50 I can still feel the rush at knowing that I was seen as being "ok" by that group I looked up to.

Growing up is shit

http://bit.ly/1nAp6Rl

No comments:

Post a Comment