Saturday 24 May 2014

Song #7 Bowie

"Some people don't dance, if they don't know who's singing,
why ask your head, it's your hips that are swinging..."
History Repeating by The Propellerheads

There's always a chance that the perfect pop song will be ignored by people because they're too cool, or too political, or too stupid or too whatever. I can't be plagued or weighed down by that, I don't want to worry if I should like Status Quo or Throbbing Gristle or Popol Vuh, I want to hear a song and say "I like it". It's inevitable that at some point in your life you'll have an awful song that reminds you of really good things, and a wonderful song that becomes associated with terrible times...

Anyway.


Over 30 years ago I was doing the Inter-rail thing through Europe and I ended up spending a lot more time in Germany than I thought I was going to. There's a really horrible attitude that the Brits have towards other Europeans, the Germans in particular; an attitude that permeates the media - the Express, the Mail and the Sun. The easy stereotypes are pushed by the lazy for the lazy and ill-informed. I loved Bavaria, the beer, the scenery, the art and the people, and the more time I spent there the more time I wanted to spend there. I had a crappy little ITT cassette player and 4/5 tapes. This is a song I played a lot. It's wonderful


No comments:

Post a Comment