Tuesday 13 May 2014

Song #3 PiL



I once asked my father what he remembered about the day The Beatles split up. Suffice to say it was obvious that he didn't give a shit. The truth is always vague and subjective, there are few absolutes, and that's the way popular culture is - we become emotionally invested in something, we obsess.

It really isn't much of an exaggeration to say that "Punk changed my life". Looking back now I try and imagine how it was in my head before the Pistols and I can't. Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, The Kinks... all stuff I liked but I had no reference.

So... When the Pistols disintegrated I was invested enough to care about what happened next - and it was wonderful.

Public Image by Public Image Ltd was epic, thundering, echoey, glorious. From the opening bass riff through the slamming drums and screeching guitars to Lydon's petulant rant against everyone. I loved it. I even loved the newspaper sleeve and the inane stories. This was an introduction to a still existing love affair with Keith Levene and Jah Wobble, (more of whom anon), and further proof that Lydon really was something special.
It was the bollocks.




http://bit.ly/1ltXXyA

No comments:

Post a Comment